Share this page:

map-pin e-Prescribing resources

6 years 10 months ago #2701 by Lisa Sever
Adding indications onto prescriptions (and labels) is being suggested as a strategy to improve patient safety.

Schiff et al wrote their perspective on the topic Incorporating Indications into Medication Ordering — Time to Enter the Age of Reason and incorporates a benefits and challenges chart that may be of interest.

I have definitely heard people talking about this over the last couple of years. As a clinician it makes sense - yet another clue to validate that medication orders are being interpreted or ordered correctly.

Will the PrescribeIT solution have a data field to capture the indication? Do other prescribing modules on EMRs have indications?

Please share your experiences.

Lisa

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 10 months ago #2688 by Monica Hazra
Yes, I recall that there is quite a bit of information in the literature on alerts within CIS which applies to DUR.

6 years 10 months ago #2687 by Monica Hazra
Lisa, many thanks for this article. I have experienced a lot of what is described as a patient.

I wonder whether "TALLMAN" (sorry for the caps, the computer keeps on autocorrecting) would be a proactive strategy?

To prevent autocorrection, can the software's vocabulary be updated ?

6 years 10 months ago #2686 by Monica Hazra
Thank you Lisa for this article. The study population were students. I wonder whether the findings would be different in seasoned clinicians who are familiar with the system and do not need decision supports to make clinical choices.

6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #2652 by Dean Matthews
Interesting study, thanks for sharing.

This study is using the term e-Prescribing as the means for how the prescription is created vs, how it is communicated to the pharmacy. This is often called Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE), which Canada has had for several years through the use of Clinical Information Systems (CIS) used in hospitals and Electronic Medical Records (EMR) used in community practices.

In the initial release PrescribeIT™ is focusing on the transmission of the prescription between the Community EMR and the Community Pharmacy Management System (PhMS), rather than the current paper prescription that is printed out from the EMR, signed and given to the patient. Very few changes are being made to how the prescriber enters the prescription into their EMR, this includes no changes to the existing CDS process used by prescriber and the pharmacy.
Last edit: 6 years 11 months ago by Dean Matthews.

6 years 11 months ago #2651 by Tara Blackwood
I would be interested to know if anything like this has ever been studied for pharmacy DUR alerting...does anyone in our community know if/where this type of study might be found?

Moderators: Linda MonicoSeema Nayani

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.