As part of the global efforts to create and provide the most up to date terminology in support of the Coronavirus outbreak, the Health Terminology Community is continually working with SNOMED International and the LOINC® team at Regenstrief Institute.
The information and resources below can help keep you up to date and learn about the latest COVID-19 content updates for: LOINC, pCLOCD, SNOMED CT® International and Canadian editions and other International standards used in Canada.
LOINC and pCLOCD
Creating LOINC terms and other resources related to SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 testing, documentation and reporting became and continues to be a primary focus for LOINC releases. All of the LOINC terms related to SARS-CoV-2/ COVID-19 content can be found on the single source LOINC page which includes both release and pre-release terms. This page is updated frquently with every new term and term edits, thus checking back regularly for the latest content is recommended.
In addition, there is a separate page providing guidance for choosing LOINCs for SARS-CoV-2 testing.
All of the SARS-CoV-2 LOINC laboratory test codes requested or identified by Canadian implementers are now published in the July 2020 pCLOCD release. We continue to process new requests related to LOINC SARS-CoV-2 terms and they can be previewed in the scope of the next pCLOCD release (InfoRMS access required).
- Full list of LOINC terms related to SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19
- Guidance for mapping to SARS-CoV-2 LOINC terms
SNOMED International and Canadian Edition
The Canadian Edition of SNOMED CT contains COVID-19 concepts from the SNOMED CT International Edition including descriptions, language refset files, adjustments to the ICD-10 map, and related RF2 terminology artefacts. The Canadian Edition of SNOMED CT also includes French translation of all COVID-19 concepts.
If you need new concepts, please submit a request for change.
- SNOMED CT International Coronavirus content
- SNOMED CT Implementation Guide for COVID-19 Data Collection (Draft for comments)
- SNOMED CT COVID-19 Related Content
CIHI is committed to collecting, analyzing, and sharing credible health data to help improve our health care systems and the health of all Canadians. They have compiled key reports and resources containing information related to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic which will be updated with new content whenever possible.
Related News & Resources
- COVID Alert App
- COVID-19 Interoperability Alliance
- International news: ONC's COVID-19 Response
- International news: WHO COVID-19 rolling updates
- Blog post: Standards Community Responds Quickly to COVID-19 Crisis with New Concepts & Terms
- News: March 31 Release of the Canadian Edition of SNOMED CT Includes COVID-19 Concepts and Descriptions, March 31, 2020
- Forum Post: LOINC Special Meeting Debrief: SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19, March 27, 2020
- Forum Post: March 2020 SNOMED CT International Edition Interim Release, March 9, 2020
- Forum Post: COVID-19 Update: LOINC & SNOMED, February 28, 2020