Copyright Notice and License
Canada Health Infoway Inc. (Infoway) has created the pan-Canadian LOINC® Observation Code Database (pCLOCD) from LOINC® to address local requirements in Canada. Infoway maintains the copyright on these localized additions.
The LOINC® codes, LOINC® Table (regardless of format), LOINC® Release Notes, LOINC® Changes File, and LOINC® Users' Guide are copyright © 1995-2021, Regenstrief Institute, Inc. and the Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes (LOINC) Committee. All rights reserved.
LOINC® is a registered United States trademark of Regenstrief Institute, Inc. Regenstrief Institute, Inc. and, as applicable, the LOINC Committee reserve all rights not expressly granted herein.
- To prevent the dilution of LOINC’s purpose to provide a definitive standard for identifying clinical information in electronic reports, User shall not use the pCLOCD, nor any portion thereof, for the purpose of developing or promulgating a different standard for identifying patient observations, such as, but not limited to: laboratory test results; other diagnostic service test results; clinical observations and measurements; reports produced by clinicians and diagnostic services about patients; panels, forms, and collections that define aggregations of these observations; and orders for these entities in electronic reports and messages.
- User may use pCLOCD and may modify pCLOCD as permitted herein.
- pCLOCD includes a portion of the LOINC® Table, that is subject to a license from Regenstrief Institute, Inc. User’s use of the LOINC® Table is subject to a license, a copy of which is available currently at http://loinc.org/license. The current complete LOINC® Table is available for download at http://loinc.org. The LOINC® Table and LOINC® codes are copyright © 1995-2021, Regenstrief Instiute, Inc. and the Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes (LOINC) Committee. THE LOINC TABLE (IN ALL FORMATS IS PROVIDED "AS IS". ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE DISCLAIMED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. LOINC® is a registered United States trademark of Regenstrief Institute, Inc.
- User shall not change the meaning of any of the pCLOCD codes. User shall not change the name of, or any contents of, any fields in the pCLOCD table. User may add new fields to the pCLOCD table to attach additional information to existing pCLOCD records.
- User may delete records from the pCLOCD table to deal with the User's local requirements. User also may add new records to the pCLOCD table to deal with the User’s local requirements, provided that if new records are added, any new entry in the pCLOCD/LOINC field of such new records must start with an alphabetic "X" so that the new codes and records cannot be confused with existing pCLOCD/LOINC codes or new pCLOCD/LOINC codes as they are defined in later releases of the LOINC or pCLOCD. Records deleted or added by the User to deal with local requirements are not reflected in the official pCLOCD table maintained by Infoway. In Canada, requests for change can be submitted to Infoway for consideration to include in the pCLOCD and to facilitate submitting such changes for consideration to include in the full LOINC release.
- pCLOCD/LOINC codes and other information from the pCLOCD table may be used in electronic records and electronic messages in conjunction with laboratory test results and clinical observations, without the need to include this Copyright Notice and License or a reference thereto in the message (and without the need to include all fields required by Section 8 hereof). When the LOINC code (from the LOINC_NUM field) is included in the message, inclusion of the corresponding LOINC short name (from the SHORTNAME field), the LOINC long common name (from the LONG_COMMON_NAME field), or for laboratory terms, the LOINC Display name (from the DisplayName field) in the message is encouraged (but not required) if the message provides a place for a text name representation of the code.
- There is no limit on the number of copies of the pCLOCD that may be distributed by the User, provided that each copy must include this Copyright Notice and License, the LOINC Copyright Notice and License, and must include the appropriate version number of the pCLOCD. This Copyright Notice and License and the LOINC Copyright Notice and License must appear on every printed copy of the pCLOCD table. Where pCLOCD is distributed on a fixed storage medium (such as CD-ROM), a printed copy of this Copyright Notice and License must be included on or with the storage medium in a file called "pCLOCD license.txt". The LOINC Copyright Notice and License must also be included on or with the storage medium, and a text file containing the LOINC Copyright Notice and License must be stored on the storage medium in a file called "license.txt" or as otherwise specified in the LOINC Copyright Notice and License. Where pCLOCD is distributed via the Internet, this Copyright Notice and License and the LOINC Copyright Notice and License must be accessible on the same Internet page from which pCLOCD is available for download. This Copyright Notice and License must appear verbatim on every electronic or printed copy of the pCLOCD Users’ Guide.
- Subject to Section 1 and the other restrictions hereof, portions of the pCLOCD table may be incorporated into other products and services, such as laboratory test compendiums, data dictionaries, online terminology services, software programs including mobile device applications, and documents such as implementation guides and other technical specifications provided that:
1. Any such product or service includes the following notice:
"This material contains content from the pan-Canadian LOINC® Observation Code Database (pCLOCD) and is subject to a license from Canada Health Infoway Inc. (Infoway). Your use of pCLOCD is subject to this license, a copy of which is available at https://infocentral.infoway-inforoute.ca/en/about/tou/pclocd-terms. Infoway has created pCLOCD from LOINC® to address local requirements in Canada. Infoway maintains the copyright on these localized additions. All rights reserved. This material also includes a portion of the LOINC® Table and is subject to a license from Regenstrief Institute, Inc. which is available at no cost under the license at http://loinc.org/license.”
3. Any information that is extracted from the pCLOCD must always be associated with the corresponding identifier from pCLOCD/LOINC code and include the corresponding pCLOCD/LOINC display name:
a. For LOINC codes, one of the following LOINC display names from the LOINC Table must be included:
i. The fully-specified name, which includes the information from the COMPONENT, PROPERTY, TIME_ASPCT, SYSTEM, SCALE_TYP, and METHOD_TYP fields;
ii. The LOINC short name (from the SHORTNAME field);
iii. The LOING long common name (from the LONG_COMMON_NAME field); or,
iv. The LOINC Display name (from the DisplayName field).
b. For LOINC identifiers other than LOINC codes, the primary corresponding display name (e.g. LOINC Answer List Name, LOINC Answer String Display Text, LOINC Part Name, LOINC Group Name) must be included.
4. Including the appropriate version number of the pCLOCD is strongly encouraged, but not required.
5. When LOINC codes are included, including the LOINC term status is strongly encouraged, but not required.
- Infoway welcomes requests from User for new pCLOCD content (terms, codes, or associated material such as text descriptions and synonyms) and suggestions about revisions to existing content within pCLOCD.
- The names "Canada Health Infoway Inc.", "Canada Health Infoway", "Infoway" may not be used in a way which could be interpreted as an endorsement or a promotion of any product or service without prior written permission of Canada Health Infoway Inc.
- DISCLAIMER: REGENSTRIEF INSTITUTE, INC., THE LOINC COMMITTEE, AND CANADA HEALTH INFOWAY INC., AS WELL AS ANY CONTRIBUTORS WHO HAVE PROVIDED TRANSLATIONS OF THE pCLOCD, DO NOT ACCEPT LIABILITY FOR ANY OMISSIONS OR ERRORS IN pCLOCD. pCLOCD IS PROVIDED "AS IS”, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND WARRANTIES ARISING FROM A COURSE OF DEALING, TRADE USAGE, OR TRADE PRACTICE. FURTHER, NO WARRANTY OR REPRESENTATION IS MADE CONCERNING THE ACCURACY, COMPLETENESS, SEQUENCE, TIMELINESS OR AVAILABILITY OF pCLOCD, OR ANY TRANSLATIONS OR DERIVATIVE WORKS OF THE FOREGOING. IN NO EVENT SHALL REGENSTRIEF INSTITUTE, INC. OR THE LOINC COMMITTEE OR CANADA HEALTH INFOWAY INC. BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, RELIANCE, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR ATTORNEYS' FEES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; OPPORTUNITY COSTS; LOSS OF USE, DATA, SAVINGS OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF pCLOCD, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE OR IF SUCH DAMAGES WERE FORESEEABLE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF CERTAIN WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS, SO SOME OF THE FOREGOING MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU.
- This license shall be construed and interpreted in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario and the laws of Canada applicable therein.
Publication Date: September 2021