Share this page:

file Provider value set - Conditions to Practice

8 years 1 month ago #1168 by Wendy Huang
Thank you Peter for your input. At this time I suggest our group focus on the semantics of the concepts being proposed. Assigning identifiers (or codes) to concepts would be the next step after the concepts semantics are confirmed.

Thank you,
Wendy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 month ago - 8 years 1 month ago #1158 by Peter Humphries
I reiterate my previous comment that there appears to be no pattern to the abbreviations, given the seeming lack of restriction on lengths.

Except for acronyms of very long identifiers, I propose that the full word be used, where possible. Since some of these codes will have to change in order to comply with the existing standard, now seems to me to be a good time to revise the set with a rational approach to the codes.

I also note that a code such as PRAC is potentially confusing, since it could imply to a human reader that something positive about a practice may be involved whilst it actually stands for something negative, a restriction on a practice.
Last edit: 8 years 1 month ago by Peter Humphries. Reason: Additional thought about actual codes such as PRAC

8 years 1 month ago #1157 by Wendy Huang
Hi everyone,

From the ic.infoway-inforoute.ca/en/forum/221-health-level-seven-international-hl7/413-hl7v3-r02-04-03-terminology-questions thread, we need to do more work around the conditions or restrictions to practice for a health care provider, so I am starting a new dedicated thread on it.

Here's the information available so far:

klewis wrote: Here are descriptions associated with the terms Alan posted above.

ACAD: Academic: Applies to providers who are providing academic education preparation. These providers do not provide patient care directly but require a license to supervise the education of students.

ADMIN: Administrative: A provider who is in an Administrative role. For example, a provider in an executive administrative or research role that is fully licensed, but not practicing in the profession. For example, a provider who is authorized by an employing health care body

AF: Armed Forces: Limited to practicing on armed forces personnel or while on base.

ASSC: Associate: Associate members are licensed providers who continue to be recognized by their college but are not actively practicing in the jurisdicition.

COURREG: Courtesy Register: Indicates a limitation imposed via the courtesy register license.

EDUD: Education: Education only license for a student.

ENH: Enhanced Scope of Practice: A condition type identifying enhanced practice privileges within a particular role that have been authorized on a provider’s license.

EXP: Expertise: Practice limited to a specific area of expertise.

FULLRESTRICT: Full license with Restrictions: Represents restrictions on a STANDARD condition license.

GPH: Graduate Permit Holder: Temporary permit holders for nurses

HONOR: Honorary: Has achieved a recognition of long-term service, has an active license but is restricted in practice.

INTERN/RESIDEN: Intern or Resident: Post graduate training positions

LMCC: Lic. of Med.Council of Canada: Second exam from Medical Council of Canada written by foreign and domestic medical graduates

LOC: Location: Practice limited to specific geographical locations.

MCCEE: Med. Counc. Canada Eval. Exam: Evaluation exam from Medical Council of Canada written by foreign medical students

NON-RX: Non-Prescribing: Practice limited with regards to prescribing.

OTH: Other Conditions: A Condition whose actual value is not an element in the value domain (e.g., concept not provided by required code system).

PCYTYPE: Pharmacy Type: Indicates a limitation and/or enhancement imposed via a pharmacy license.

PRAC: Practice Restriction: Practice limited by the licensing body.

REGISTRY: Registry: License limited by conditions of registration.

SPECMED: Special Medical: Limited to a specific license for a location.

SPECREG: Special Register: Indicates a limitation imposed via the special register license

STANDARD Standard: Conditions set to the standard for license and jurisdiction in question.

TIME: Time limitation: Limited to a specific period in time

ahuynh wrote: These are the codes that the regulated colleges are currently sending us to our PRS product in Alberta:

PRAC
ENH
EXP
TIME
REGISTRY
PCYTYPE
INTERN/RESIDENT
EDUD
COURREG
ACAD
OTH
SPECREG
LOC
AMREG
EMERGENCY
GENERAL
LIMITED
PROVISIONAL
TELEMED

My comments are the following:
  • we need the name and descriptions from the Alberta list of codes Andrew Huynh provided. Especially since some of the codes appear to be not in PRS system list.
  • From the PRS systems list, some clarification are required for "MCCEE: Med. Counc. Canada Eval. Exam: Evaluation exam from Medical Council of Canada written by foreign medical students" - is that a status or a condition? Does it mean the provider requires to write the exam or they have just written the exam? if the value is set to "Med. Counc. Canada Eval. Exam" what does that mean? Also along the same lines, clarifications are required for "LMCC: Lic. of Med.Council of Canada: Second exam from Medical Council of Canada written by foreign and domestic medical graduates".
  • Also codes cannot have special characters such as "/" so the codes "INTERN/RESIDEN" and "NON-RX" need to be revised.

Looking forward to continue the discussion.

Wendy

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.