Share this page:

file FHIR for Clinical Research

3 years 11 months ago #5913 by Lloyd Mckenzie
Hi Derek,

That's not an initiative I was familiar with. If you could make introductions, that would be wonderful. Certainly all of the work coming out of this initiative will be publicly available. It's expected to be a joint publication of HL7 and CDISC and maintained on an ongoing basis. (Note that the focus here would not be 'documents' but a general-purpose mapping, particularly of use to allow direct query of research-relevant data.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 11 months ago #5912 by Derek Ritz
Gavin -- thanks for sharing info about this CDISC work.

An IHE Clinical Research Document profile was developed years ago and has been in use since then to leverage CDA-based workflows that operationalize the CDISC specs. The French equivalent of Infoway (ANS) is collaborating with the hospital network of Paris in leading a project to update the CRD spec to use FHIR (referred to as the CRDm project). This project is being undertaken as part of the EHR2EDC work funded by the EU; it was launched within IHE's Quality, Research and Public Health (QRPH) technical committee at the beginning of the year but has been put on hold because ANS and the Paris hospital network (understandably) has their hands full with fighting COVID-19.

Is Gevity aware of this project... and if yes, is there an expectation (on Gevity's part) that it will contribute to this IHE work item? If this news is surprising -- I'm happy to make introductions to the French colleagues that are leading this work and I know they will welcome Lloyd's help! :lol:

Warmest regards,
Derek

3 years 11 months ago #5911 by Gavin Tong
Hi,

I don't know too much about this project but I've just learned Gevity, and in particular Lloyd, is working with Clinical Data Interchange Standards Consortium (CDISC) to improve the use of EHR data in clinical research. The FHIR to CDISC project will leverage FHIR and CDISC’s standards for data collection (CDASH) and data tabulation (SDTM) to streamline the flow of data from EHRs to CDISC submission-ready datasets. If anyone is doing work with clinical researchers and EHR data they might want to look into this initiative.

Thanks,

Gavin

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.