Share this page:

file FHIR: URI for Health Canada Drug Identification Number

7 years 1 month ago #2231 by Igor Sirkovich
Hi Finnie,

We had defined a code system URI for DIN/PIN: hl7.org/fhir/sid/ca-hc-din. Since this is a code system (rather than a value set), this covers the full range of DIN/PIN numbers assigned by Health Canada. You can see this is on the new list of code systems used by FHIR: build.fhir.org/terminologies-systems.html. Every implementation can define a value set that is relevant to its use case as a subset of DIN/PIN numbers, but the code system URI hl7.org/fhir/sid/ca-hc-din will always go to the "system" element of a medication code element in FHIR.

Regards,
Igor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago #2228 by Finnie Flores
Hi Igor,

Have you also defined a value set URI for DIN that use the full DIN not just a subset? If yes, do you mind sharing it?

Thanks
Finnie

8 years 1 week ago #1275 by Igor Sirkovich

lmckenzie wrote: We have two possible approaches - piecemeal as we encounter a need to share a particular code system or identifier type in FHIR, or mass conversion. I think the latter is a reasonable student/intern project if we find a willing volunteer/victim. Unless or until that happens, I think we'll have to stick with the piecemeal approach.

I agree.

8 years 1 week ago #1273 by Lloyd Mckenzie
We have two possible approaches - piecemeal as we encounter a need to share a particular code system or identifier type in FHIR, or mass conversion. I think the latter is a reasonable student/intern project if we find a willing volunteer/victim. Unless or until that happens, I think we'll have to stick with the piecemeal approach.

8 years 1 week ago #1272 by Greg Peres
I think we should stick to the messages we are implementing in immunization and medication management for the time being. Unless you are volunteering to do them all. :)

8 years 1 week ago #1271 by Igor Sirkovich

iroy wrote: I like Igor's idea - let's keep what we have and assign URIs going forward to what is not named yet.

Actually, my proposal was to map all Canadian OIDs to URIs and to use URIs only (not OIDs) in FHIR.

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.