Share this page:

file URI for Canada Post 2-letter Canadian Provinces/Territories and US States

7 years 1 month ago #2261 by Finnie Flores

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2246 by Finnie Flores
I'm good with the proposed URI as well. I suppose I can go ahead and pre-adopt this? Who's submitting the request to HL7?
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Finnie Flores.

7 years 1 month ago #2245 by Lloyd Mckenzie
usps.com is for the US postal service. I don't know that they define codes for Canadian jurisdictions and they certainly wouldn't be the authoritative source. Also, there's no guarantee there wouldn't be conflicts between codes they (or Canada) define eventually. A separate code system seems most appropriate.

Value sets should generally be defined in the context where they're used. I'm actually not sure why the US value set is part of the FHIR core spec - it seems something that should be part of the US Core implementation guide instead. Presumably we would define our value set in the corresponding Canadian Core implementation guide when/if we decide to create one.

If we want to create a valueset that includes the US codes as well, we'd need to figure out the scope - is there a reason to have CA + US jurisdictions and not others?

I'm fine with Igor's proposed name.

7 years 1 month ago #2243 by Igor Sirkovich
Maybe hl7.org/fhir/CodeSystem/canada-post-province-and-territory-codes would be a more explicit name?

Once the code system is defined, we would be able to request to include all codes from this code system in the Jurisdiction ValueSet.

If required, we might also create a new ValueSet with all codes from this new code systems and with all codes from the USPS Two Letter Alphabetic code system.

7 years 1 month ago #2242 by Finnie Flores
Thanks Igor and Lloyd.

Could we include Canada Post somewhere in the URL so we know that the code are from Canada Post versus other code systems? What about other metadata (e.g. code system name, etc.). Do we need that too for proposal?

Should we also propose are corresponding value set?

With regards to the US state, I assume that we could use the code system URL from the existing value sets that Igor noted - i.e. www.usps.com/? Also, has FHIR defined the other metadata for this code system?

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.