Share this page:

file MedRec in Home Care

6 years 8 months ago #2933 by Beatrice Patton
Replied by Beatrice Patton on topic MedRec in Home Care
Thanks for sharing your experience around form development and process! I agree that it would make for a very busy form if trying to incorporate the 2 processes (clarifying discrepancies & generating Rx for the community pharmacy). I can't seem to find the sample version in the Home care GSK March 2015. Would you be able to attach a link or guide me as to where to find it.
Thanks,
Beatrice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 8 months ago #2932 by Liz Moran-Murray
When I became involved with our Home Care Med Rec process 9 years ago, I did, briefly, consider trying to incorporate the elements to meet legal prescription status. I abandoned it because it stole space needed to clarify discrepancies that nursing identified & space needed by prescribers to clarify.
A sample version of our Saskatoon BPMH/Med Rec form is in the ISMP Getting Started Kit for Med Rec in Home Care. Our process is paper based & needs to be faxable back & forth between the Home Care RN & prescriber. Our Med Rec process "closes" by faxing a copy of the reconciled form to the community pharmacist but this is, legally, an FYI document only.
The Saskatchewan Registered Nurses Association (SRNA) requires that Home Care nurses have signed & dated orders from a prescriber, in order to give meds in the client's home & our reconciled Med Rec form meets this requirement. There is extra coordination required to ensure that the community pharmacy is able to dispense the required meds since a legal prescription requires many more details than the prescriber's signature & order date.
Independent of our Med Rec process, when the Home Care clinical pharmacists make recommendations for medication changes, we use a different standardized fax back form. Similar to our Med Rec process, when that form is signed & dated by the prescriber, it meets the SRNA requirements for the nurse and a separate prompt at the end of the form reminds the prescriber to provide the community pharmacist with a new prescription, if needed. We do fax an FYI copy of the suggestion to the community pharmacist at the same time as we fax to the prescriber, to give the pharmacist a "heads up" that another pharmacist has been consulted about their client's meds.
So, we have not discovered a one form fits all solution.

6 years 8 months ago #2930 by Donna Goring
Replied by Donna Goring on topic MedRec in Home Care
Hi Beatrice,
I know Saskatoon has developed many such forms. Our contact there is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.. She may be able to help you.

Donna

6 years 8 months ago #2928 by Beatrice Patton
Just exploring if anyone has developed a MedRec document or tool for communicating discrepancies to prescribers for resolution, but which also serves as a prescription for sending to community pharmacies. Currently, the response rate is low for resolving discrepancies and for communicating back to the home care program. Also interested in hearing if an electronic solution has been developed for this purpose.

Thanks,
Beatrice Patton
Winnipeg Regional Health Authority

Moderators: Linda MonicoSeema Nayani

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.