Upon first login after March 31, 2024, all Infoway Account users will be required to reconfirm acceptance of the Terms of Use and License Agreements. Learn More >

Share this page:

file PS-CA Content Data Model: General Questions

2 years 3 months ago #7343 by Sheridan Cook
Hi Marc,

I haven't come across any tooling that directly converts FHIR profiles into entity relationship diagrams. I think most folks have stayed away from ERDs in FHIR because the use of references (which can point to many different types of FHIR resources) can make them a bit unwieldy to view & produce in this fashion.

But I did put the question out to the IPS community to see if any similar assets have been developed for IPS, and will keep you apprised if we hear back from anyone.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 3 months ago #7342 by Marc L'Arrivee
Thanks Attila.
So does anyone out there have a diagram for the IPS-UV model? I would just like to see some boxes connected with fancy lines, I find that easier to consume than the tree structure. I'm a little surprised there's no tooling around to convert the tree structure to an entity relationship diagram (or is there?).

Regards,
Marc

2 years 3 months ago #7340 by Attila Farkas
Hi Marc,

The project did start with building a common data model for the Patient Summary (MDS). If you remember an earlier post we published an interim version of this for public review. This work was trying to build a model close to an ERD based on the CA-Baseline. While the CA-Baseline was also trying to align to the IPS data set, there was sufficient divergence from it to not be the most effective way towards adoption of the IPS standard. You may also remember that we took the matter to the Coordinating table for recommendation. The question in need of a resolution at the time was whether or not we should build the PS-CA data model from scratch using an MDS approach or start from the IPS-UV data set and assess it for Canadian alignment. The recommended path was to follow the latter, hence the ERD for the PS-CA is implicitly the IPS-UV data model. We do not have any additional data browser support aside from the profiles posted in the Simplifier project. Hope this helps.

Attila

2 years 3 months ago #7339 by Marc L'Arrivee
Is there a conceptual or logical data model available? Looking for an ERD, or something similar to what is seen in HL7 Explorer here...

Thanks,
Marc

2 years 4 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #7319 by Allana Cameron
If you have general comments or questions about the PS-CA Content Data Model, please feel free to post in this thread. We will have our subject matter experts available to respond. This is also a great way to spark conversations with other stakeholders about how they are addressing particular topics.

Please note that if you have specific questions on the Pan-Canadian Patient Summary Interoperability Specifications v0.1 we invite you to submit comments to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. using the PS-CA Public Review Comments PS-CA v0.1 spreadsheet, available here . We kindly ask that each organization submit all comments within one spreadsheet submission. The timeline for Public Review is: November 24, 2021 – December 17, 2021.
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Allana Cameron.

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.