Share this page:

file Seeking information regarding ICD-9 usage in Canada

4 years 10 months ago #5116 by Mukesh Kashyap
Hi Andrea,

Thank you for bringing this on the message board across all jurisdictions in Canada. As you are already aware with the work British Columbia is doing in this area. We will try to provide response to all of your questions, which is as below:

1. Is ICD-9 still used in your province/territory?

Yes

2. If so, in what capacity?

It is still being used in British Columbia for physician billing.

3. Are you currently working on mapping ICD-9 codes to SNOMED CT similar to the work being undertaken by NLCHI? (tgateway.infoway-inforoute.ca/singlesubset.html?id=2.16.840.1.113883.3.133.3.1.101&versionid=20181001)

Yes, as Canada Health Infoway and CIHI are already aware of the BC Health Concerns and Diagnosis ( ICD to SNOMED) mapping work and assisting us through this process. We are in validation process cycle with CIHI for this mapping and Canada Health Infoway is helping us in request change process with few SNOMED terms and later assist us in publishing constraint BC Health Concerns and Diagnosis value set on Canada Health Infoway terminology gateway.

4. Is there work underway in your province to migrate away from the use of ICD-9 to SNOMED CT?

In my understanding, may be in future.

5. If the use of ICD-9 is mandated in your jurisdiction, is there work underway to change this?

In my understanding, It may happen in future.

6. All this and anything else you think is important to share about the use of ICD-9 in your jurisdiction would be appreciated.

As mentioned earlier British Columbia had developed constraint Health Concerns and Diagnosis value set (SNOMED mapping to ICD-9, ICD-10, ICD-10-CedDex code) and presently going through validation process with CIHI.

Please let me know if you have any further questions regarding this value set.

Regards,

Mukesh Kashyap

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #5115 by Daniel Simic
Hi

In B.C we currently use ICD9 coding for our MSP billing services thru Teleplan, see link:

www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/practitioner-professional-resources/msp/physicians/diagnostic-code-descriptions-icd-9

Our B.C Health Information Standards team has been working over the last few years with stakeholders on a project to map a constrained Health Concerns & Diagnosis value set from our ICD 9 & 10-CA codes to SNOMED CT, and this is on the verge of formal publication this summer to our HIS site:

www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/practitioner-professional-resources/health-information-standards/standards-catalogue

There's a beta version of the code set available with all the completed Implementation Guides (Vendor, End User) on our Vendor Collaboration Forum site for initial review, however this site requires a BCeID (www.bceid.ca/register/) for access.

Thanks and please don't hesitate to reach out to our team if there's any inquiries about this work
Dan

4 years 10 months ago #5114 by Marie-alexandra Lambot
Hi,

If you seek to map ICD9CM codes to SNOMED CT, I suppose you know this has been already done in USA for diagnostic codes and is downloadable here:
www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/mapping_projects/icd9cm_to_snomedct.html

And for procedures here:
www.nlm.nih.gov/research/umls/mapping_projects/icd9cmv3_to_snomedct.html

ICD9 isn't much different from ICD9CM. I would seem to me you actually just need to patch the differences between 9 and 9CM in order to use the current US ICD9CM map to SNOMED CT.

Best regards.
Marie-Alexandra

4 years 10 months ago #5111 by Sharilyn Kmech
ICD-9-CM is used in Alberta for physician billing. The Clinical Terminologies team is not working on mapping ICD-9 codes to SNOMED CT.

4 years 10 months ago #5094 by Andrea MacLean
Thank you Eva for taking the time to confirm ICD-9 usage in ON in this capacity. Every piece of information is helpful.

Andrea

4 years 10 months ago #5093 by Eva Knowler
Hi Andrea,
I Ontario, some of the Local Health Integration Networks code using ICD-9/CC. It is up to each individual LHIN whether they use ICD-9 to code diagnosis of patients admitted to Homecare. ICD-9 codes are entered into CHRIS (Client Health and Related Information System). I am confident that the LHINs are not mapping ICD-9 codes to SNOMED CT. In my personal opinion upcoming changes in government structure will surely be discontinuing the use of ICD-9 within a few years.
Eva Knowler

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.