Share this page:

file Change to the meaning of an OID for Quebec patient identifier

1 year 10 months ago #7908 by Joanie Harper
Hi Anibal,

I have updated the OID registry as requested, however for 2.16.840.1.113883.4.56, I have left the note about existing usage at the top of the description.

Please review and let me know if you have any concerns.

Joanie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 10 months ago #7907 by Anibal Jodorcovsky
Hi Joan,

Is there an update on this? I wanted to follow-up just to see when the appropriate changes would have been posted to HL7:

www.hl7.org/oid/index.cfm?Comp_OID=2.16.840.1.113883.4.56

www.hl7.org/oid/index.cfm?Comp_OID=2.16.124.10.101.1.60.100

1 year 10 months ago #7874 by Joanie Harper
Thank you Anibal.

You can add a document by going to the Documents section of the FHIR Implementations Group. Click Manage Document and then you will see an option to add a document. Once you do so, you will need to create another post to let people know it is there as InfoCentral does not send a notification when a document is uploaded.

As for the Registry, I can take care of updating the description. I will give it the 5 business days that we normally give for community feedback.

Also, I plan to leave the note in the registry about the ambiguity since there are many outside of Quebec that have been using 2.16.840.1.113883.4.56 as the Health Card number.

2.16.124.10.101.1.60.100 has already been created in the OID Registry.

1 year 10 months ago #7873 by Anibal Jodorcovsky
Hello everybody,

Daniel did a lot of work on getting consensus between key people in MSSS (Ministere) and RAMQ (Regie d'Assurance Maladie). He prepared a document, which he alludes it in the previous post and since then the UCNI (Unité de coordination des normes pour l'interopérabilité) has been assigned the mandate to keep track, update, deprecate and create new OIDs for Quebec Healthcare. As such, I'm one of the individuals in charge.

I have discussed the proposed change with Dean Matthews already and Quebec will continue to use the OID 2.16.840.1.113883.4.56 fro the NIU identifier. As Daniel mentioned in the previous post, the costs associated with deprecating that OID are just way too big. This OID has been in use for more than 10 years within Quebec.

I have no mechanism here to upload a document so not sure how I can do that, but I have a new Word document that clearly explains the difference between the 2.16.124.10.101.1.60.100 and the 2.16.840.1.113883.4.56. I'll write the text included in this document below.

Composite OID / GUID: 2.16.124.10.101.1.60.100

Full Name for Object (Title): Quebec, Canada Personal Health Number

Description of the Object identified by the OID (Be as comprehensive as you wish):

"Numéro d'Assurance Maladie du Québec (NAM). Quebec Health Insurance Number

A unique number assigned by the province of Quebec, Canada to patients who are residents of the province."

This OID should be used to represent PHN
The NAM is the number that’s displayed in the health insurance card that Quebec citizens carry with them. It’s a number known by the user him/herself although it’s not a publicly available identifier.

And for 2.16.840.1.113883.4.56:

Composite OID / GUID: 2.16.840.1.113883.4.56

Full Name for Object (Title): Quebec, Canada Unique Identification Number

Description of the Object identified by the OID (Be as comprehensive as you wish):

Numéro d’Identification unique (NIU). Unique Identification Number

A unique number assigned by the province of Quebec, Canada to patients
or clients who come into contact with their jurisdictional healthcare
system.

Please note that this OID is for internal use only, i.e., within the province of Quebec only and only with permission of the Ministry. It is by law illegal to share or store, it can only be used for transactions after proper query resolution from the Quebec user registry (Registre des usagers RU).

Please note that the NIU is for internal use only and must kept confidential.
The NIU can only be used in accordance with Quebec Act P-9.0001 (Act respecting the sharing of certain health information) related transactions after proper query resolution from the Quebec user registry (Registre des usagers RU)

The NIU is not known to the users and it’s not easily discoverable.
The NIU must not be exposed to anyone, even to the identity owner.
When sending the NIU in a message, this message must not contain any patient identification information.

A new OID (2.16.124.10.101.1.60.100) has been registered for PHN. All new implementations should use the new OID to represent PHN.

I'd like to submit this text to the HL7 registry so that it's clear going forward what these OIDs are supposed to contain and refer to.

Who should I contact to have the registry properly updated?

1 year 11 months ago #7849 by Daniel Berezeanu
To follow up,

We have been able to organize an internal meeting with the interested parties of the Québec; ministry of Health and the RAMQ, and we have discussed the issue and the possible solutions from this thread.
The conclusion of our internal meeting is that:
  • We welcome the creation of the new OID (2.16.124.10.101.1.60.100) as it has been used this way for a long time without ever being officially registered. We will propose some minor changes to the OID description.
  • We do NOT desire the future deprecation of the OID (2.16.840.1.113883.4.56) as the numerous implications would be very costly. We simply want an updated description of the OID.

As an outcome, I’ve drafted new descriptions for both OIDs to eliminate any ambiguity. I’m now in the process of consolidating internal feedback, comments, and text variation. I will be proposing the desired changes to the descriptions in the next couple of days in this thread.

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.