Share this page:

question-circle Goal profile

3 years 5 months ago #6405 by Lloyd Mckenzie
Replied by Lloyd Mckenzie on topic Goal profile
Fair enough. Though 'mandatory' doesn't always mean must support, in practice here it wouldn't make sense for it not to.

It's still saying "we don't have an expectation you're going to support other things", which itself has value. I.e. we're saying "Just these 3 elements is sufficient to be useful.

Goal.description isn't coded. Goal.category is a nice-to-have, but I'm not sure it would make sense for us to say "You can't be CA-core conformant if you don't support category".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 5 months ago #6404 by Shamil Nizamov
Replied by Shamil Nizamov on topic Goal profile
Well, all what US did profiling Goal is just flagging already _required_ elements with MS. I.e., the original Goal resource sets the lowest common denominator already in this sense.

I think the real value would come from pointing to Goal.category or Goal.description value sets (those with Example binding) but CHI Terminology has none at the moment (please correct me if I missed those on the terminology server). The CHI Term WG may decide to create such value sets in the future at which point we can bring the Goal profile back to CA Core.

3 years 5 months ago #6403 by Lloyd Mckenzie
The U.S. profile isn't "more U.S." either. It's about setting a lowest common denominator for implementers so they can understand what elements they can reasonably expect when sharing goals - and understand that sharing goals is a capability that would be expected of most EHR systems.

3 years 5 months ago #6400 by Shamil Nizamov
Replied by Shamil Nizamov on topic Goal profile
I'm not telling that Goal is not required in actual implementations, what I'm trying to emphasize is that after the discussion we do not see any specific constraints/extensions to apply to the Goal resource to make it "more Canadian" that it is right now.

3 years 5 months ago #6399 by Lloyd Mckenzie
Neither Goal nor CarePlan are intended to be computable in US Core - but there's still value in a shareable CarePlan with associated Goals in terms of coordinating patient care. Is there a reason we think that's less true in Canada than in the U.S.?

3 years 5 months ago #6398 by Shamil Nizamov
Goal profile was created by Shamil Nizamov
While reviewing a Goal resource and how it is profiled in the US Core at our Clinical substream, we are not seeing any value added. Simply adding the MS flag to few required elements does not help much, and there are no value sets for elements with the Example binding.

For that reason the proposal is to remove the Goal profile from CA Core.

Any comments or concerns with that?

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.