Share this page:

file September 2021 release of the Canadian Edition of SNOMED CT now available!

2 years 7 months ago #7199 by Anibal Jodorcovsky
I found the solution. Just to document what was going on in case this can help anybody else.

We're importing two files from the RF2 Canadian version into MS Access to be able to automate several of our activities. MS Access - as I said - it's not the best tool, but it's the one that everybody has available so I'm stuck with it.

I imported the Description file and also the Refset file. We then do some SQL queries between these two tables and two other input tables. When a new version of SNOMED CT Canadian is available I need to upload these new versions. When I was doing that, it was throwing this error I documented earlier.

After several trial/error and looking around, it seems that the DB gets too big for MS Access, so this is what I needed to do.

Load up the Refset and Description tables, delete the contents - but leave the table schema in there. Then, use the MS Access option to compact and rebuild the DB. Then, load the Description table, then compact and rebuild again, and then load Refset. phew....

Maybe this helps somebody else - at least to stay away from MS Access :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 7 months ago #7198 by Kelly Davison
Thank you Anibal. I am very glad that you are no longer having any issues. And many thanks for continuing to use this forum to draw on the experience and expertise of Infoway's Health Terminologies Community.

Kind regards,
Kelly

2 years 7 months ago #7197 by Anibal Jodorcovsky
Never mind. Just found out that MS Access is bonkers (who would have thought!? :-)

What a terrible piece of software. If you have any other option to use anything else but Access, go ahead and do it. The problem is internal to Access (not sure why, but starting from scratch both the Refset and the Description RF2 files load OK - go figure).

2 years 7 months ago #7196 by Kelly Davison
Thank you for your post Anibal. This makes me wonder if anyone else is having a similar difficulty. So that we can follow the process, what are the steps you have taken?
1. Download package from the Terminology Gateway
2. ...

2 years 7 months ago #7194 by Anibal Jodorcovsky
Hi Kelley,

I'm having a real hard time updating my tools with this new version. The Description table worked OK but the Refset is not importing.

I am doing the exact same steps that I did with the March release, but this one is throwing an error when trying to import into MS Access. I'm including a screenshot here in case somebody has any ideas. I have spent over an hour trying to find something wrong with the file, but I don't see any problems. I'll keep looking but just in case somebody has any ideas.

There's no way to attach an image here so I uploaded it here for those who want to see the error:

drive.google.com/file/d/12fChJwXi0XHePvmIpvzxL7NxHk6TdEzI/view?usp=sharing

2 years 7 months ago #7193 by Kelly Davison
Infoway’s bi-annual release of the Canadian (CA) Edition of SNOMED CT (English and French) is now available. This Canadian release is based on the July 31, 2021 International Edition and includes COVID-19 vaccine related concepts , an assortment of French Canadian and French global terms produced by member countries Belgium, Canada, Switzerland, Luxemburg, and affiliates PHAST (France), and many new organisms.

New concepts and descriptions have been created to support Canadian implementations, including a BC Provincial express STI testing eform, CANImmunize and ongoing immunization work, the Canadian Institute for Health Information value sets and Reference Data Model (CRDM), the Ontario Lab Information System (OLIS), Agir tôt, SIL Provincial and SI-GMI (Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux du Québec).

The CA Edition package is available from the Terminology Gateway . You can also visit SNOMED International’s SNOMED CT Browse r to view the CA Edition content and subsets.

For the human-readable and computable formats of Canadian subsets using SNOMED CT, please visit Infoway’s Terminology Gateway , which enables browsing, accessing, and downloading of subsets for ease of reference and use.

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.