Share this page:

file National requirements/Use cases for linking SNOMED CT and GTIN needed by 3 September

8 years 9 months ago #661 by Beverly Knight
Hello
IHTSDO is asking for member countries to provide any National requirements/Use cases by 3 September for linking SNOMED CT and GTINs. I would like to bring this up at the next couple of meetings (ie Aug 17 and Aug 24th.)

I will post a couple of documents to support this discussion here ic.infoway-inforoute.ca/en/resources/docs/pubhealth. I have copied the issue as described in the briefing note here
Issues
SNOMED CT and GTINs
In 2013/14, a joint piece of work was agreed between GS1 and IHTSDO to develop principles for linking SNOMED CT and GTINs within a country, based on the work already done in Australia and the UK. This has not been progressed and given the time lapse it has been agreed that the requirements should be revisited, fully documented and outcome agreed on what might best be produced internationally to support the requirement for linking SNOMED CT and GTINs - to avoid duplication of effort, share lessons learned from those who have already linked the 2 standards and to provide an international model if required.
SNOMED CT and UDI
It is not clear at this time what part SNOMED CT plays in UDI, though in some countries GMDN codes are already mandated. IHTSDO therefore at this time wishes to collate any requirements/Use cases from member countries for linking SNOMED CT in to the UDI process for medical devices so that it can be identified if there is any guidance that can be developed internationally by the IHTSDO – again to avoid duplication of effort and share any lessons learned from those who have already started work in this area.

Look forward to the discussions.

Beverly

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.