Share this page:

lightbulb WHO Computable Care Guidelines project - CALLING ALL INNOVATORS

5 years 5 months ago #4471 by Derek Ritz
Thanks, Shanil. The effort right now is to develop a standards-based specification (a "grammar") that may be used to express a computable care guideline. Is this what the company had? If you'd like to connect them into this forum -- that'd be great! Whether it is the right approach for WHO, I know it will be informative to us all. As John Kennedy said: "a rising tide lifts all ships". :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 5 months ago #4469 by Shanil Keshwani
Hello All,

I was at American Heart Association couple days back and I met with a company who has the experience of integrating all kinds of data not limiting to EHR/EMR, genetics, wearables, and so on. This is all HL7. Also, they have the capabilities to do AI/ML on those data as well. Please let me know if you want to connect. Currenlty, I am also working on various smartcity healthcare projects as well where I am helping the seniors and frail populations. Please let me know if I could be of any help.

5 years 5 months ago #4468 by Derek Ritz
Yup -- we'll be progressing the "official" work, there, regarding the new profile. Ron -- there may also be a general "call for participants" regarding the WHO's own internal project as this moves to a prototyping phase around antenatal care and immunization workflows. Will post to this thread if those opportunities come up, too. :)

5 years 5 months ago #4465 by Ron Parker
Derek, I would very much like to be a part of this. I presume this involves signing up for QRPH Technical Committee?

5 years 5 months ago #4459 by Derek Ritz
I had the great pleasure to attend a working group "kick-off" meeting last week in Geneva regarding a new WHO-led global initiative focused on computable care guidelines and the associated AI/ML innovations that could be supported by such an effort. Fellow Canuck, and global FHIR guru, James Agnew was there, too. It was a truly fascinating couple of days! B)

As the foundation to the care guidelines part of the project, we plan to leverage a set of underlying FHIR specifications as the base clinical content standards (expressing an antepartum summary, for example). We'll hopefully be able to use another set of FHIR resources to describe the care-path workflows and guideline-based "business rules" -- and for this aspect, we may be able to leverage a newly-balloted IHE profile: Dynamic Care Planning . Importantly -- we also want to be able to express the actions that are to be taken when a particular care guideline "fires" -- and for this, we're exploring what role CDS Hooks might play.

This whole effort is, itself, being progressed as an IHE Profile development work item in the Quality, Research and Public Health (IHE QRPH) technical committee. It will be a collaboration between WHO, the US CDC, and Canada's own Hamilton Health Sciences (led by their super-innovative CIO, Ted Scott). We will launch this work item tomorrow during the IHE technical committee meetings in Chicago.

I believe this has the potential to be really ground-breaking stuff. I mean, just think about the use cases... the Canadian Diabetes Association updates their national care guideline -- and suddenly all the EMRs and apps in the country start to operationalize this new care path for every Canadian diabetic. The opportunity for real health impact is off the charts! Stay tuned for news from the Chicago meetings. If you're interested in being part of this initiative -- or if you have some thoughts/ideas on this topic, please comment on this thread.

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.