Share this page:

file Question

3 years 2 months ago #6634 by Iryna Roy
Replied by Iryna Roy on topic Question
Hi Katie,

I am not sure I understand what you mean by EHR as a concept not defined universally. It is actually described by international standards such as ISO standards
www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/store/en/PUB100343.pdf
ISO/TC 2015 Health Informatics is particularly interesting in this case. HL7 standards are also international standards and are focusing on concepts of EHR, EMR, PHR, etc. I think there is a misunderstanding on what kind of data Stephanie is trying to exchange and what we mean by healthcare systems.

Kind regards,
Iryna

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 2 months ago #6633 by Katherine McMillan
Replied by Katherine McMillan on topic Question
Thank you Iryna, that's certainly exciting news about the IPS.

Stephanie: Although Iryna has made very cogent points, please do consider ISO 19115 in supporting the ability to exchange international digital health data, and the fact that "Electronic Health Record" as a concept is not universally defined.

Sincerely,
Katie

3 years 2 months ago #6632 by Iryna Roy
Replied by Iryna Roy on topic Question
Hello Ladies,

EHR - Electronic Health Record.
To answer the question directly, Stephanie: No, EHR systems in Canada are not sending patient-centric, identifiable information globally intentionally for reasons like legislations, standards, confidentiality, privacy.
- Certain EHR applications have capabilities to generate CDA - Clinical Document using HL7 Format (some EHRs support IHE XDS) - those documents, as files can be transferred to another system globally and read by physicians in case of agreement of both parties.
- There are more opportunities coming with the IPS - International Patient Summary, based on FHIR standard.
- Some projects may exchange information in de-identified format, extracts, open data sources, not-patient centric for oncology research, vaccination development, that would be based on project basis. Not something you can connect and extract without authorization.

Hope it helps.
Kind regards,
Iryna

3 years 2 months ago #6630 by Katherine McMillan
Replied by Katherine McMillan on topic Question
Hi Stephanie,

Canada has many integrations throughout the digitized healthcare system with international health data. Perhaps you could be a little more specific as to what you mean by "EHR"? (please provide an example)

One of the platforms Canada uses to exchange international health data is the Polar Data Catalogoue: www.polardata.ca/

I'd also recommend checking out the Northern Contaminants Program: www.science.gc.ca/eic/site/063.nsf/eng/h_7A463DBA.html
and AMAP: www.amap.no/

These platforms and projects are useful as they bring international health data into context with Indigenous communities' needs, geography, climate change, and the environment.

Cheers,
Katie

3 years 2 months ago #6629 by Stephanie McBaine
Question was created by Stephanie McBaine
Hello,
I am a student working on a research paper regarding the EHR systems in Canada. My question is, does Canada have the ability to send/receive healthcare information globally?
Any resources you could provide would be great appreciated!
Thank you!
Stephanie McBaine

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.