Share this page:

file ISO Online Browsing Platform (OBP)

6 years 10 months ago #2636 by Don Newsham
Great question and comment. Yes, the ISO Browsing Platform does allow for good access to summary information about the standard. The Introduction, Scope, Terms and Definitions, Abbreviations and a bibliography are often very useful in building some basic understanding of the standard of interest. All this material is available for FREE, before you consider acquiring the standard through the usual ISO website access.

I would note that even 'googling' an ISO standard, usually gets you to the Online Browsing Platform (OBP) also. If you search for a multi-part standard you can usually find a reference to such, and then an appropriate link to the ISO OBP for taht standard / part.

Naming conventions in ISO standards titles usually provide a differentiation between an international standard (IS), a Technical Specification (TS) or a Technical Report (TR). And the standard itself has a number and year date of the publication of the standard.
- International Standards are the primary normative publication and simply are listed by Number : Date
- Technical Specifications are normative publications, with a specific review and progress process, and are listed by the abbreviation TS with Number: Date
- Technical Reports are informative publications, with a further specific review and progress process, and are listed by the abbreviation TR, with Number: Date

We are considering using FAQ like information to help new users of ISO standards, however I first want to check on the resources available to everyone on the ISO and related websites.

Again, thanks for asking and look forward to any additional comments or posts on this topic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 years 10 months ago #2626 by Linda Parisien
Hi,
I have found this interesting browsing tool on the following site, which allows for viewing documents before or instead of buying them. www.iso.org/obp/ui/

But I have questions on how to get to specific information.
I have to admit, I am not too familiar with ISO naming convention where there are often many codes in the documents header. So far, I was able to find some documents but not others like those that are broken down in parts, like «part1».

Did anyone use that browser? Are there some tips you could share?
Thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.