Partager :

file Question on Ethnicity and Race-based Value Sets

il y a 3 ans 5 jours #6774 par Shamil Nizamov
The initial discussion should be in issues #5, #64 but I cannot find them any longer.
github.com/scratch-fhir-profiles/CA-Core/issues/5
github.com/scratch-fhir-profiles/CA-Core/issues/64

I remember we decided not to use CDC value sets since they are obviously not complete.

Connexion ou Créer un compte pour participer à la conversation.

il y a 3 ans 5 jours #6772 par Lloyd Mckenzie
I wouldn't worry about the v2 mappings - they're in no way influential around what the codes need to be. Given that ethnicity will primarily be relevant for reporting and not clinical purposes, aligning with the CIHI value set makes sense. Does CIHI intend to publish their own code system for their proposed set of codes or will they introduce their codes into SNOMED? (The latter might allow the data to be more easily used outside the Canadian context, though that's probably not essential for this data element.)

il y a 3 ans 5 jours #6768 par Francis Lau
Hi all, at today's Health Terminologies Community meeting, Marcy Antonio from UVic did a short presentation of ongoing and upcoming work in social determinants of health (SDOH). There were some discussion and questions about race and ethnicity coding, which I will summarise here and invite people to comment:
  1. CIHI has published a set of proposed race-based and indigenous identity data collection standards in July 2020 - see page 6 in
    www.cihi.ca/en/proposed-standards-for-race-based-and-indigenous-identity-data
  2. The Canadian FHIR community has published a set of Canadian FHIR Baseline Profiles (CA-Core) - see simplifier.net/CanadianFHIRBaselineProfilesCA-Core/~introduction
  3. In the CA-Core Patient Profile there is an extension element for ethnicity (but not race) - see simplifier.net/canadianfhirbaselineprofilesca-core/patientprofile
  4. If you look at the ethnicity extension, its mappings make references to HL7v2.PID.22 Ethnic Group and rim:Person.ethnicGroupCode
  5. If you look at the CDC value sets for Ethnic Group it contains H-Hispanic or Latino, N-Not Hispanic or Latino, U-Unknown as the values - see phinvads.cdc.gov/vads/ViewValueSet.action?oid=2.16.840.1.114222.4.11.6066
  6. If you look at the HL7v2 table 0189 for Ethnic group it has the same value set - www.hl7.org/fhir/v2/0189/index.html
  7. But if you look at the value sets listed in CA-Core there is one for EthnicityCode based on SNOMED CT codes -see simplifier.net/canadianfhirbaselineprofilesca-core/ethnicitycode
So my question to the FHIR and HTC members is - How do we reconcile between the proposed CIHI race based standards and the CA-Core, since there are overlaps? Do we just create another extension called race in the Patient Profile in CA-Core? sorry for the cross-posting

Thanks -Francis

Logo d'InfoCentral

La santé numérique à votre service

Transformer les soins de santé au Canada grâce aux technologies de l'information sur la santé.