Upon first login after March 31, 2024, all Infoway Account users will be required to reconfirm acceptance of the Terms of Use and License Agreements. Learn More >

Share this page:

file Request for new provider role types

8 years 1 month ago #1089 by Wendy Huang
Just to clarify, this replaces the request to add Environmental Public Health Professional (which is cancelled).

Public health inspector concept will be reactivated with the following information:

Code: PHI

Name: Public Health Inspector

Description: A health service provider who provides an understanding of microbiology, risk assessment, environmental science and technology, food science, as well as skills and knowledge related to the tracking and control of communicable disease and the investigation and enforcement of legislation related to public health and the environment.

This has been captured in Infoway Request Management System (InfoRMS): informs.infoway-inforoute.ca/browse/HL-5364.

Let me know if there are further questions.

Thank you,
Wendy Huang

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

8 years 1 month ago #1088 by Finnie Flores
Thanks Wendy. Do you also have the infoRMS # for the request to re-add the Public Health Inspector?

Finnie

8 years 1 month ago #1087 by Wendy Huang
The approved provider types have been entered into the Infoway Request Management System (InfoRMS) and the reference IDs are included in the original spreadsheet with the comments included.

CIHI Provider Types Request 20151223 with InfoRMS IDs (ic.infoway-inforoute.ca/en/resources/docs/hl7/rfcs/cihi/812-cihi-provider-types-request-20151223-with-informs-ids)

Best regards,
Wendy Huang

8 years 2 months ago #1020 by Finnie Flores
Thanks Wendy for reviewing and making revisions. With regards to medical physicists, they do provide clinical services (e.g. treatment planning). Please see a more detailed description of what they do here: www.comp-ocpm.ca/english/about-comp/what-is-medical-physics/what-is-medical-physics.html

Hope this helps.

Finnie

8 years 2 months ago #1018 by Wendy Huang
Hello,

I have reviewed the content and have some questions about the appropriateness of the concepts for the scope inclusion of the HealthcareProviderRoleType value set.

The HealthcareProviderRoleType value set definition is: A role type that is used to categorize an entity that delivers health care in an expected and professional manner to an entity in need of health care services. Examples: Registered Nurse, Chiropractor, Physician, Custodial Care Clinic.

I've provided my comments in this updated request document HL7 Proposed Change -CIHI Requests-20151223.xls-whuang (ic.infoway-inforoute.ca/en/resources/docs/hl7/rfcs/cihi/712-hl7-proposed-change-cihi-requests-20151223-xls-whuang) with a column labelled “WH comments”.

My comments:

While the following roles types are valid, they do not appear to be a role that delivers health care:
  • Environment public health professional – this appears more to be a title (grouping) of public health inspector and environmental health officer
  • Health information management professional – they typically do not delivery health care to an entity (person) in need of health care services
  • Medical physicist – while they are in health care industry, it is unclear whether they provide health care services to persons in need.
For naturopathic doctor, there was previous input from Albert and Ontario, I propose the following description for consideration and I would choose the term ‘naturopathic doctor’. Also I would add “naturopath’ as part of the description.

A health care provider who is qualified to use natural, non-toxic healing therapies including: botanical medicine, clinical nutrition, hydrotherapy, homeopathy, naturopathic manipulation, traditional Chinese medicine / acupuncture to treat patients’ diseases and disorders, as well as prevention and lifestyle counselling to support and stimulate healing processes. This provider type is also known as naturopath.

For the term ‘nurse aide/health care aide’, I suggest we consider using the term ‘health care aide’ as that is broader than nurse. As for the description I propose the following update:
A health care provider who assists nurses, hospital staff and physicians in the basic care of patients. They are employed in hospitals, nursing homes, assisted care facilities and other health care establishment, and usually serve elderly patients.

For occupational therapist assistant – for consistency we try to use singular term for each role, and so I would suggest we do the same in this case. And for the description I suggest (some grammar adjustments):
A health care provider who provides support to an occupational therapist to deliver occupational therapy services. They work within a supervisory relationship with an occupational therapist.

For orthoptist, similar comment as above, my proposed description:
A health care provider who specializes in the non-surgical treatment of visual disorders such as amblyopia, strabismus and diplopia. The orthoptist is the front line in the assessment and diagnosis of these disorders, and works with the ophthalmologist in formulating and implementing treatment plans.

For orthotist, similar to the best practices demonstrated in other definitions, it’s probably worthwhile to elaborate what is ‘orthotic treatment’ in the definition as well. My proposed description:
A health care provider who provides comprehensive patient care for individuals with disorders of limbs or spines by use of braces or other devices to correct alignment or provider support.

Physiotherapist assistant – for other roles that supports other roles, we’ve used the term “supervision” over “direction” so I suggest we keep it the same. Also I looked up the existing term for physiotherapist and it does not indicate ‘registered’ or ‘licensed’ since not all the jurisdictions regulate physiotherapists across the country so I suggest we remove the term ‘licensed’ from the description as well.
Proposed description: A health care provider who works under the supervision of a physiotherapist in the provision of physiotherapy services.

For prosthetist, same minor grammar adjustments as the terms above.
Proposed description: A health care provider who is highly experienced in designing and manufacturing artificial body parts. They work closely with a team of medical professionals that may include physician, surgeon and physical and occupational therapist to ensure the best results for each individual.

For rehabilitation engineer, I understand the identifier may have already implemented, the issue is two character identifiers means increase possibility of identifier collision. I would like to propose a longer code length to avoid identifier collision and growth of the subset for current and future usages. Proposed code: REHABENG.

For audiology assistant – I have concerns on the identifier length as on the rehabilitation engineer. I would like to propose a longer code length to avoid identifier collision and growth of the subset for current and future usages.
Proposed description: A health care provider who is works in a supporting role and under the supervision of an audiologist in the delivery of audiology services.

For ophthalmic technician I suggest minor revisions as done to the terms above:
Proposed description: A health care provider who assists ophthalmologists in provider care for patients by taking histories, performing various procedures and tests, and preparing patients to see the doctor.

Looking forward to moving this forward on the February 2nd call.

Best regards,
Wendy

8 years 3 months ago #941 by Finnie Flores
Hello all,

I have uploaded a revised version of the document with the addition of two more provider role types:

1) Audiology Assistant
2) Ophthalmic Technician

Here is the link to the revised request form: ic.infoway-inforoute.ca/en/resources/docs/hl7/623-revised-cihi-hl7-proposed-changes

Regards
Finnie

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.