Share this page:

file Organism Question

5 years 8 months ago #4194 by Marion Long
Replied by Marion Long on topic Organism Question
Hello, below is a response that I received from one of the Microbiology Managers in New Brunswick. Marion

It looks to me like they are two separate organisms based on molecular testing, which is not always done to identify organisms. Maldi-TOF technology and molecular identification methods have resulted in the ability to differentiate organisms which may have been previously thought to be in the same genus but end up being a separate genus (i.e. new). Therefore, it is sometimes the practice when an organism is separated into a new genus name to put in brackets the former name it was called to indicate what it is closely related to or to indicate historical relationship. Therefore, This is a continuously evolving thing, so I don’t know when the organism should be changed to a separate code. Most nomenclature in software of instruments is not updated that frequently, and the new name may only come into effect when this happens.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 years 8 months ago #4192 by Salve Achacoso
Replied by Salve Achacoso on topic Organism Question
Thanks Debbie or reaching out to us and for agreeing to post this question to the community.

Debbie and I have done further research on this topic using the recommended SNOMED International reference websites (can be accessed through InfoScribe under Microbiology). However, we have not obtained enough information that can support the article.

InfoScribe url:https://infoscribe.infoway-inforoute.ca/display/SCT/Microbiology

I would like to solicit information from the lab folks that may have mapped this code in their LIS. Are you using the same SNOMED code - Chrysosporium (organism) | 55038006? Do you agree that SNOMED differentiate the genus Emmonsia from the Chrysosporium species?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Salve Achacoso
Standards SME

5 years 8 months ago - 5 years 8 months ago #4189 by Debbie Onos
Good morning everyone,

I am hoping someone can give me some guidance and confirmation with a question regarding two specific organisms.

Chrysosporium (organism) | 55038006

Under this organism SNOMED has indicated a synonym of Emmonsia but I think they are two distinctly different organisms.
jcm.asm.org/content/50/4/1346.full

In addition to the species there are the subspecies that I am unsure of whether they are all crossed over or if some belong to Emmonsia and some to Chrysosporium.

Thank you everyone,
Debbie
Last edit: 5 years 8 months ago by Debbie Onos. Reason: edit

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.