Share this page:

question-circle EHR use of fields "Clinical Sex", "Administrative Sex", and "Gender"

7 years 10 months ago #1387 by Joginder Madra
Hi Lara,

The US Office of the National Coordinator - as part of their certification criteria - makes reference to:
- Sex (later clarified to be birth sex) with a value set of:
(i) Male. M
(ii) Female. F, and
(iii) unknown (nullFlavor UNK)

- Gender Identity with a value set of:
(i) Male. 446151000124109
(ii) Female. 446141000124107
(iii) Female-to-Male (FTM)/Transgender Male/Trans Man. 407377005
(iv) Male-to-Female (MTF)/Transgender Female/Trans Woman. 407376001
(v) Genderqueer, neither exclusively male nor female. 446131000124102
(vi) Additional gender category or other, please specify. nullFlavor OTH
(vii) Choose not to disclose. nullFlavor ASKU

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 10 months ago #1377 by Lara Ibrahim
There are a few ongoing discussion on how EHRs define the information relating to a patient's sex and gender.

Please share your thoughts and you EHR's application/uses in regards to the following:
  • Administrative Sex: defined in Infoway's Terminology Gateway with a subset of M/F. FIHR standard expands the subset (ref: www.hl7.org/fhir/valueset-administrative-gender.html) with different codes.
  • Clinical Sex: is it a different subset? What additional information to "Administrative Sex" would it provide to clinicians? What codes would then be relevant?
I am looking to this community to gain further understanding on how an EHR can help support the different subsets to provide clinicians and patients a more comprehensive understanding.

Thank you,
Lara Ibrahim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.