Upon first login after March 31, 2024, all Infoway Account users will be required to reconfirm acceptance of the Terms of Use and License Agreements. Learn More >

Share this page:

file New Subset OID Request - Alberta Vaccine and Antigen

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #5821 by Joel Francis
Thanks, I agree. I will take it back to the standards team. But I think it makes sense because this is a jurisdictional OID and it would be confusing to have it be a subset of the Infoway root OID so we registered it with HL7.

I think this was the first time we put the subset process for jurisdictional OIDs to the test as far as I can recollect.

Thanks,

Joel
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Joel Francis.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3 years 11 months ago #5820 by Randy Nonay
Hi Joel,

Couple things - the process documents need cleaning up a bit - for example, at least use consistent terminology to decribe types of OIDs and requests.

In the case of these specific OIDs, we had discussed with individuals at Infoway, and they had suggested (and the process docs supported it) that, since this was for an Alberta subset, we should be the ones to request (which we did), and because they need a level of visibility for the TG, thats why we didn't use Alberta OIDs. So perhaps Terminology Gateway process also needs review, and to be explicitly added to the request process documents along with guidance on what level the OIDs need to be registered at...

3 years 11 months ago - 3 years 11 months ago #5819 by Joel Francis
Hi Randy and Igor,

Based on the clarity provided here, for the future, this did not need to be registered with HL7. I think we should have allocated subset OID(s) based on the Infoway root OID, which is not what happened in this case.

It wasn't very clear that these OIDs were being requested on behalf of Infoway. I will take this back to the standards team to close the gap on this. This is a bit confusing and we may need to take a look at the process again.

Randy/Igor any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Joel
Last edit: 3 years 11 months ago by Joel Francis.

3 years 11 months ago #5818 by Randy Nonay
Hi Igor,

These OIDs are a result of a request from Infoway to post the Alberta mappings on the Terminology Gateway(TG).

Alberta had completed a mapping to Snomed in 2015 as part of an activity related to Panorama. This mapping, Alberta local to SNOMED mapping, was updated in 2019 employing an Alberta Health developed computerized mapping tool and human SME review. In order to post the mapping on TG, Infoway requested two OIDs - for the Vaccine and Antigen code sets respectively, be generated/registered by Alberta Health. Since these OIDs would be visible at the national level, the Infoway OID request process included posting the OIDs on the respective Infoway forums for feedback.

At this time there is no plan in Alberta for implementing the SNOMED code sets for provincial immunization reporting. The only activity that is underway now in the ministry is updating the data collection web interface so data can be reported easier. There are no changes to Vaccine and Antigen codes terminology content; that is, Alberta local sets will continue to be used.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Randy

3 years 11 months ago #5816 by Joel Francis
Thanks Igor.

A search was conducted with the provided descriptions and the symbolic names. No duplicates could be found.

The OID has now been registered as a Type 4.

Alberta to SNOMED Antigen codes Mapping –
OID

Alberta to SNOMED Vaccine codes Mapping –
OID

3 years 11 months ago #5813 by Igor Sirkovich
I don't object, but I'm wondering if Alberta has any plans to use the SNOMED CT subsets from the Canadian Vaccine Catalogue (CVC) rather than their local SNOMED CT subsets.

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.