Share this page:

file June 4th Presentation on May 2019 WGM Meeting in Montreal

4 years 10 months ago #5004 by Michael Nusbaum
To your questions, Derek... I was on this call, and reported on the IHE initiative just being formulated to profile the International Patient Summary (IPS). This highlights one way that IHE can enhance the adoption of an HL7 standard (FHIR and otherwise) through the IHE processes. The IPS Profile will include both the CDA and FHIR implementations.

As Ron eluded to in his report, there was a high-level meeting at the HL7 Montreal WGM between HL7, HIMSS and IHE. HL7 is increasingly recognizing the power of collaboration, and this recent imperative is heavily supported by the incoming HL7 International Board Chair, Walther Suarez. As most of you know, HL7-IHE partnerships currently exist in many flavours: IPS, Gemini Project, etc.

So this raises your core question about the relationship between HL7 IG's and IHE profiles/processes... in the shared pursuit of global adoption... by vendors and users alike. I think the IPS profile initiative will absolutely tease this out, laying the foundation for more collaboration going forward.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 years 10 months ago #5003 by Derek Ritz
Very interesting report, Ron -- thanks for sharing it!
What, in your view, should be our Canadian action items related to the development of realm-specific profiles (and IGs... or IHE FHIR Profiles)? If we are, in our domestic work, profiling US-specific FHIR profiles do we run the risk of finding ourselves in a bind -- or are you confident the CRTSS initiative will not undermine any of our ongoing efforts towards developing a CA-Core?
Also... related to IGs vs IHE FHIR Profiles... what do you believe is the right way to increase development capacity and exercise stronger governance over the "implementable" artefacts we're going to need to go to scale with FHIR? I would advocate for focusing on IHE-based processes -- but this option did not even seem to come up at all in the HL7 IC meeting (which is a bit worrying, tbh). Do you have any insights into why this quite-obvious alternative wasn't on the HL7 leadership's radar? (and sorry if this is an awkward question...) :dry:
Thanks and warmest regards,
Derek

4 years 10 months ago #5002 by Ron Parker
Hi everyone:

I have posted the HL7 May 2019 WGM meeting report here .

If you have any questions do not hesitate to reach out to me here on the forum.

Ron Parker
HL7 Canada Affiliate Chair

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.