Share this page:

file URI for Canada Post 2-letter Canadian Provinces/Territories and US States

7 years 1 month ago #2241 by Lloyd Mckenzie
We can submit a change proposal to add them. Probably late for inclusion in STU 3. All we'd need to agree on is the URL for the code system. I'd recommend *not* going the route they followed with the US code system, for a few reasons:
*Canada post defines codes for more than just Canadian provinces & territories
*Websites move around

So my leaning would be hl7.org/fhir/CodeSystem/ca-province-and-territory-codes
The code system could then make reference to the CanadaPost website page that's currently source of truth and also enumerate the codes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

7 years 1 month ago - 7 years 1 month ago #2240 by Igor Sirkovich
It seems the one with the codes for Canadian provinces is missing in FHIR. There is a USPS Two Letter Alphabetic Codes for US states: build.fhir.org/valueset-usps-state.html. This value set is also part of a bigger Jurisdiction ValueSet: build.fhir.org/valueset-jurisdiction.html. In my opinion, Canadian provinces are supposed to be in included in the Jurisdiction ValueSet, but they are not (jurisdictions from Australia and other countries, other than the US, are missing too).
Last edit: 7 years 1 month ago by Igor Sirkovich.

7 years 1 month ago #2235 by Finnie Flores
Hi,

Has anyone assigned or is aware of code system and value set URIs (for use in FHIR) for the Canada Post 2-letter Canadian provinces/territories and US states?

Thanks
Finnie

InfoCentral logo

Improving the quality of patient care through the effective sharing of clinical information among health care organizations, clinicians and their patients.